Thursday 22 March 2007

old man river

It's a settled heirarchy.
Ghouls,ghosts, gods and children.
I pretend to understand
but something washes over me,
diverts my attention.
Scatters my thoughts.
Something about a mangrove swamp
the moon and a river.

The hookers look so lonely.
In need of a swim.
But what would I know ....
I'm just a drag queen
ready to put on a show
about my fabulous shoes
and my fabulous things.
But the twist is ...
and get this,
it's really about
my fabulous sense of direction.

I know where the stage is ...
over there..
draped and three steps high.
Flickering candles and round french tables.

And I know where home is ...
Down the stairs and round the corner
left and a little on.

And then it's gone.....
that thinnest of veneers,
that veil of misconception.
Lets the stars shine on down,
whistling past the moon
and the mangrove swamp
.... to old man river.